Every professional has a story to tell, as does every corporation and non-profit.
But before you begin to tell that story, you must be clear regarding the message you intend to convey.
What are you trying to say? Who is your target audience? Are you looking to inform, persuade or entertain them? What do you want them to do next?
Without clear answers to these critical questions your message has virtually no chance of being communicated successfully.
Message Crafting goes further, examining not only what to say but how, how much and when.
Audience members can only process and retain a limited amount of information in any given time period. Repetition of your core message over time is critical as it is expanded it into ever-further detail with those constituents who are particularly engaged in the conversation.
Using our proprietary Message Onion strategy, we build your story in layers.
- The Seed is your tagline or mission statement – one sentence max
- Your Elevator Pitch describes your service and target market in 60 seconds or less
- Your Spotlight Presentation is a five-minute networking breakfast talk
- Your Shark Tank Speech is a ten-minute investor presentation with five slides
- Your TED Talk is 18-20 minutes which can be transcribed into a short Kindle
- Your Keynote Presentation is 45-60 minutes of anecdotes & examples
- Your Workshop is 3 hours of intense instruction with role play and activities
- Your Boot Camp is 2 days with enough content create a hardcover book
Once you understand what you message is – at each of these levels of detail – you can then communicate it in media ranging from tweets and blog posts to printed books and online courses.